Thursday, December 4, 2008

day 83 after transplant

Hello everyone,

The day was sunny and comfortable when we left for the clinic. It was so nice that Hazel and I walked outside at the hotel today. By late afternoon it got cloudy and now it looks like rain. I heard that it is raining at home.

My day at the clinic was good but I have to go back again tomorrow. Depending on the results of my labs they may put me on homecare IV of saline and maybe magesium. That means that I would give myself an IV which is really not big deal. That would mean less trips to the clinic. They say that I am not drinking enough but honestly I drink as much as I can stand. My appetite comes and goes. Some food sounds so good until I get it in front of me and then it just doesn't taste good. Everything tastes like metal!

The Post Bone Marrow Coordinator talked to me today and she reminded me of the story of the tortise and the hare. She said that the hare got in a hurry and lost the race but the turtle took his time and he won the race. She said that I need to be like the turtle-- take one step at a time and I would have a better chance of winning the race. It is really interesting to hear other peoples journey while sitting in the waiting room. One lady today said that she was 200 days out and she finally got to go out to eat (the only thing that she could eat was soup because her mouth is so sore from her chemo months ago) and now she can drive. Another lady was there getting ready to go through her second bone marrow transplant (she used her own stem cells the first time). Now her sister is going to be her donor. Also there was a young girl that was so weak that she had to be brought in the cinic in a wheelchair. I see so many people in different stages and hear their stories and I praise God that my journey so far has been pretty smooth. I have come this far that I don't want to do anything to make my journey longer than it needs to be. Your prayers sure do help.

Hazel will leave tomorrow afternoon and Rodney will be here for the weekend. I heard Hazel tell her sister that the week has really gone by fast-- I am glad that she feels that way. It has been good to spend time with her. Scott comes for the week on Sunday. I keep praying that he will stay well. It seems like so long since I have seen him.

Take care,
Love to all,
Gloria

No comments: