Sunday, April 26, 2009

day 226 after transplant

 

Greetings to all,

This has been a week with lots of crazy weather. It started out cool, was wondering if it would ever get warm. On Wednesday we had just about every type of weather that you could have: cool, a mix of sleet and freezing rain, thunderstorm with some hail and then by Friday it was 90 degrees! It seems that it has gone straight from winter to summer and no spring in between.

One thing that I forgot to blog about last week. I love fruit, all kinds of fruit. I got a cantaloupe and let it ripen on the counter all week. Last Sunday I told Rodney that I couldn't wait any longer and I thought that it was time to clean and cut it. He did and I asked him to try it first to see if he thought that it was good (my taste buds have been so off). He did and he said that it was a very good cantaloupe. I was so excited and I couldn't wait to try it but when I tried it I had to spit out! I was so disappointed. I am wondering if I will like watermelon and even more home grown tomatoes.

This has been a week for people to visit. Monday evening Denny and Pam Cox and Ryan and Jennifer came up -- nice visit.  Tuesday evening Dad and Corinne came up and it was good to see them. Thursday afternoon Shirley Hohenstein came up and then in the evening Jennifer Pence came to see me. It was really nice to visit with everyone. Several people called during the week just to check in on me. It was nice to be remembered.

Wednesday Rodney and I went to Richmond-- he had a meeting so I dropped him off and then went to the clinic. I was scheduled to have a pulmonary test at 11:30 and then to the clinic for my by-weekly checkup. The pulmonary test was better this time than the first time (I had the 1st one done before the transplant so they would have a base line to work with). This technician was really good and I didn't hardly even feel the needle stick. When I got to the clinic I saw Richard, one of the nurse pract. He looked at the results of the pulmonary test and he said that everything was very good -- he said that I breathed better than he did! He said that all of my blood work looked really good. We talked about when I would be starting to get my childhood shots and he said that it would be soon, depending on how my graft vs host disease does when they take me off of my meds. With an out break of measles and swine flu it can't be too soon. I am not scheduled to go back to Richmond until May 12.

Saturday was in the 90's and it was probably the worst day for me since I came home from Richmond. It was so hard for me to stay here in the house when Rodney was outside doing the yard work. Rodney does the mowing and I always plant the flowers and the vegetables. Rodney does not enjoy working in the dirt like I do. I wanted to be out in the flower beds so bad. Rodney did let me sit in the garage and supervise him planting flowers in pots for the deck. I know that I have to listen to the doctors so I won't get a set back or end up in the hospital. Now the garden is plowed and Rodney is going to plant some beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and hot peppers. Ryan and Jennifer will probably fill the rest of the garden up with pumpkins and gourds.

Today we took Rodney's aunt and mother out for a ride just because it was so pretty today. I think that they both enjoyed getting the chance to get out.

Well, I think that pretty well covers my week.

You all take care and have a wonderful week and I will write again next Sunday. I am hoping that soon I will be given the ok to go to church but not for now.

Love,

Gloria

No comments: